Information for Artists
All artists should register online in advance of the event. Your festival name badge entitles you to free admission to local attractions during the festival for the purpose of painting on site.
$50/55 early bird registration- through June 30, 2020
$55/60 regular registration- July 1 – July 31, 2020
$60/65 “at the door” registration August 1 - August 18, 2020
Registered artists check-in at BRAHM the afternoon of Wednesday, August 19, 2020 between 3:00 and 5:00 pm (or if needed, between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm Thursday, or Friday) to have their canvas or paper stamped prior to beginning work to be eligible for entry in the Saturday show and sale.
Painting En Plein Air
Artists may paint at a variety of locations of their choosing within the area surrounding the picturesque town of Blowing Rock. This includes incredible vistas, landscapes, gardens, landmarks, architecture, and street scenes. We encourage artists to paint at our patrons’ locations. A map of suggested locations is provided two weeks prior to the festival.
We also encourage you to take a look at our list of sponsor businesses, they have demonstrated a willingness to support the arts and might make good subjects for work more likely to sell. Well known landmarks are also popular with buyers.
Last years' sold pieces included everything from street scenes, to local landmarks, florals, to scenic vistas and lake landscapes.
- Open to all registered artists 12 years and older
- Paintings must be two-dimensional medium including oils, acrylics, watercolor, gouache, mixed media, and pastels.
- All paintings must be done “en plein air” outside, in natural lighting during the time frame of the event.
- Artists may stamp an unlimited number of canvases but will submit only up to two pieces for the Wet Paint Show and Sale and awards.
- Canvases must be free of images prior to stamping, though a base coat of paint is allowed.
- All work is to be done in a two-dimensional medium, wired for hanging and framed properly with an open back to facilitate viewing of the festival stamp on the back.
Exhibition & Wet Paint Sale
The festival will conclude on the evening of August 22nd with an exhibition and sale of the art created over the four days of painting. All submitted artwork, up to a maximum of two paintings per artist, will be available for sale at the exhibition and sale. Any unsold art must be collected by the artist at the conclusion of the exhibition.
30% commission on all artwork sold during the Blowing Rock Plein Air Festival will be retained by BRAHM, with all event sales handled by BRAHM.
All proceeds from the registration and art sale will go towards fulfilling the mission of BRAHM in the community.
Payment to artists for awards and work sold will be mailed within 30 days after the event ends. Any "off the easel" sales during the event will be asked to make a donation to BRAHM comparable to the event commission.
Hands-on plein air workshops will also be held at BRAHM preceding the festival.
Please visit BlowingRock.com for lodging information.