Skip to main content

The Blowing Rock Historical Marker Program is a long-term, joint project between The Blowing Rock Historical Society (BRHS) and the Blowing Rock Art & History Museum (BRAHM).  The purpose of the program is to identify and recognize buildings and sites, within the community of Blowing Rock, that are significant because they are examples of a particular architectural style; may be of historic importance or simply deserving distinction by their design or a relationship with the Town’s legacy.  The mission statement of the program reads, “The Blowing Rock Marker Program will assist in educating the public about the rich history of Blowing Rock, provide atmosphere to our downtown and add distinction to individual homes, commercial buildings and sites of significance.”  The Town of Blowing Rock endorsed the program in 2008 and the first plaques were presented in 2009.  The program has eligibility guidelines for building recognition and a uniform marker design. The red, oval markers relate, among other things, the year of initial construction; original owner or builder and key elements of the property’s significance.  The marker committee has identified over 125 properties in the downtown area alone that are 50 years or older.  To date, the following properties have received markers:

  • Creekside ca. 1928

    Private Residence. 221 Wallingford.

    The stone house at 221 Wallingford has changed ownership within the last couple of years. According to local David Hardwood states,"[this home] is significant because it is very rare, in the Tudor style of architecture and it is built with greenstone, which is a type of granite. I’m not sure where greenstone is quarried around here, but it is just an absolutely beautiful house and different and rare as far as residences go in Blowing Rock."

  • Blowing Rock Negro Community Church ca. 1949

    First Independent Baptist Church

    Blowing Rock Negro Community Church, which still stands on Possum Hollow Rd., but in 1982 became the First Independent Baptist Church. It was originally built in 1949, and the funds to build it actually came from a community fund drive. It was Blowing Rock’s first African American church.

  • R.S. Reinhardt Building ca. 1924

    Next to Mellow Mushroom on Main St. where Main St. Gallery is located.

    The R.S. Reinhardt Building was actually built by Lynn Lawrence’s grandfather, Everett Greeley Pitts. It was built for a Lenoir businessman, Mr. Reinhardt. The significance of this building is that it was Blowing Rock’s first post office. If you are looking at Mellow Mushroom today, it is the two-story building on the left, on Main Street. It was originally a one-story building, built in 1924. It remained the post office until 1944. It was about that time they added a second floor, which provided 10 lodging rooms for the Parkway Hotel. The lodging rooms were upstairs, while the hotel dining room and coffee shop were downstairs, on the first floor.

    About three feet up from the sidewalk on the front of the building, there is a USGS marker that identifies the official elevation of Blowing Rock as around 3400 feet.

  • Rainey Service Station ca. 1936

    Current location of the Mellow Mushroom

    Visitors to Mellow Mushroom may often wonder why there is “this garage thing” out front. This is because it was originally a service station. Where you dine in the restaurant now, there were three service bays.

    It was constructed with cut stone from Grandfather Mountain. It was built in 1936, which if you know the history of the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Parkway was being built around that time. The architecture of the Rainey Service Station mimics some of the architecture being built along the Parkway.

  • Randall Memorial Building ca. 1907

    Currently the Village Cafe.

    The Randall Memorial Building today is home to the popular Village Cafe. The plaque says it was built in 1909, but the current owner Annie Whatley shared that information she received upon purchase of the structure is that it was remodeled in 1909, so the building may be even older. Although it was the Town’s first library, it was originally built for the Episcopal parish as a training center and workshop. The church sold the building in 1936. The same year they built the little one-story building off to the side, which is believed to be a Boy Scouts facility.

    Ms. Whatley offered that between the time the church sold it and when she and her husband took ownership, there were a number of other uses, owners and tenants.

  • First Baptist Church ca. 1924
  • Winkler Service Station ca. 1920
  • Green Park - Norwood Golf Course ca. 1915
  • Gibbons Residence (site of the Blowing Rock Hotel) ca. 2008
  • Davant Residence ca. 1938
  • Church of the Epiphany ca. 1948
  • Blowing Rock Ice House ca. 1930
  • Sonny’s Grill ca. 1955
  • Inn at Ragged Gardens ca. 1896
  • Methodist Church of Blowing Rock ca 1901
  • Town Hall and Chamber of Commerce ca 1900
  • The Blowing Rock Art & History Museum ca 2011
  • Rumple Presbyterian Church ca 1912
  • Green Park Inn ca 1891
  • Watauga Hotel Cottage ca. 1888
  • Mayview Manor ca. 1922
  • Maymont ca.1887
  • St. Mary of the Hills Episcopal Church ca. 1921
  • Springhaven Inn ca. 1889
  • Blowing Rock Memorial Park ca. 1939
  • Chetola / Earl Estes Farm & Way Station / Snyder House ca. 1900
  • Blowing Rock Bank ca. 1904
  • LM Tate Show Grounds ca. 1928
  • Green Park Cottage ca. 1910
  • Boyden Cottage ca. 1860
  • Schenck House ca. 1886
  • Mt. Bethel Reformed Church ca. 1886
  • Martin House ca. 1870
  • The Blowing Rock ca. 2 Million years ago
  • Edgewood Cottage ca. 1890